Monday 18 January 2016

The Miniaturist


Book One Complete

I have completed the first book in my at least ten books this year resolution, and what an amazing book to start off with. The Miniaturist, by Jessie Burton, is a gripping, thrilling story which is full of mystery, love, and heartbreak. It offers many shocking twists to keep you hooked on each word. Overall, from picking up this book, to reading the final sentence, this book was certainly not what I expected. As with every future book review blog, I will warn that there are spoilers ahead.

Throughout the novel, I loved all the characters, their different personalities adding greatly to the story. However, one character did stand out as my favourite; Marin Brandt. I enjoyed how she was a strong character who had a head for business and running her house, despite her slightly aggressive nature at points. I also liked that she held, what is in my opinion, the biggest secret[s] of the novel. I had absolutely no idea about her baby, and then again completely no idea that Otto was the father. Her two secrets prevented me from putting the book down until I was finished as I love a good twist. Some may argue that Johannes' homosexuality was a bigger secret, however when he jumped away from Nella in his study, I felt like I was sure why, and I was.

The Miniaturist was one of the most unique books I have ever read which is another plus from me as I love anything that's quite out there and different. The way small fragments of real fact - Petronella Oortman, Johannes Brandt, and Nella's cabinet were all real - were entwined with the beautifully written story all added to what makes the novel great.

One detail of the story did slightly disappoint me however. The mystery of the Miniaturist. I know that some mysteries have to stay a mystery, but I feel towards the end, the mystery was a little forgotten and it was never rounded off which I had hoped for. After reading the whole book and being just as curious as Nella to find out who this woman is and how she knew what to make and send for the cabinet, I felt discontent when the story ended with only the woman's name and a small insight into her background. I understand if Jessie Burton felt she couldn't give the mystery and ending without it feeling poor in comparison the the rest of the story, but I would I liked to have known even just the tiniest bit more about the Miniaturist.

Despite that, The Miniaturist is by far one of the best books I have read and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is contemplating reading it.


No comments:

Post a Comment